Death of a relative
Losing a relative is always difficult, and when death occurs abroad, there are additional formalities, some of them quite complex, but nonetheless essential.
The Consulate is available to support families through this process as much as possible.
During the Consulate’s opening hours, the social services department can be reached at: 212 606 3602.
Outside of these hours, the Consulate General is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on a dedicated line.
From the USA, dial (917) 751 4465.
From France, dial 00 1 91 77 51 44.
An agent on call will be available to provide preliminary information and to arrange for you to visit the Consulate General during regular business hours.
The Consulate General will:
• put you in touch with funeral homes and assist you with the steps to take with them
• assist you with the steps to be taken with assistance companies
• if close relatives wish to do so, facilitate the repatriation of the body or ashes
• guide you if you need psychological or legal assistance
• help you with other steps, including the entry of the passing into the French death register
• keep you informed on the progress of all formalities and ensure you never feel powerless or isolated during this very difficult time.
Information concerning the repatriation of ashes to France
Families wishing to repatriate ashes to France should consult the list of documents required to obtain a transport authorization and contact the social services department at 212 606 3602